Skip to main content

Newsome Junior School

Castle Avenue, Newsome, Huddersfield, HD4 6JN

Meet the Staff
Meet the Governors
Pupil Premium
Sports Premium
KS2 SATs Results
Online Safety
Info for Parents
Attendance & Punctuality
Equality at NJS
Gifted & Talented Pupils
Health and Wellbeing
Parents' Evenings
School Meals
School Uniform
Snow Closures
Special Educational Needs
Behaviour and Safety
SMSC/British Values
Competitive Sports
Our Pyramid Partners
Member Login

Newsome Junior School

SEND Policy

  1. What are additional needs?

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
  • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions

For children aged two or more, special educational provision is educational or training provision that is additional to or different from that made generally for other children or young people of the same age by mainstream schools, maintained nursery schools.

Many children and young people who have SEN may have a disability under the Equality Act 2010 – that is ‘…a physical or mental impairment which has a long term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’. This definition provides a relatively low threshold and includes more children than many realise: ‘long term’ is defined as a ‘year or more’ and ‘substantial’ is defined as ‘more than minor or trivial’. This definition includes sensory impairments such as those affecting sight or hearing, and long term health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, and cancer. Children and young people with such conditions do not necessarily have SEN, but there is a significant overlap between disabled children and young people and those with SEN. Where a child or young person requires special educational provision over and above the adjustments, aids and services required by the Equality Act 2010 they will be additionally covered by the SEN definition.

Additional needs are most likely to be found in some or all of these areas:

  • Children with Special Educational Needs
  • Children with social and emotional needs and/or behaviour problems
  • Children in need or at risk of harm
  • Disabled Children
  • Looked After Children or Adopted/Previously Looked After Children
  • Children who have English as an Additional Language
  • Children who may spend long periods in hospital or out of school
  • Gifted and talented children
  • Refugee children
  • Traveller children

Children are not be regarded as having learning difficulties solely because their language, or form of the home language, is different from that in which they are taught.

  1. Who should you talk to if you think your child needs extra help or support?

If you bring your child to school or can come to the school, your child’s class teacher will probably be the best first point of contact.  Please make an arrangement to talk to them about your concern.  The start of the school day may not be a ‘good’ time and you may want to speak somewhere more private than the classroom, so just arrange a time and place with the teacher to suit you both. If you cannot come to school, you can ring the school and speak to the office staff to arrange an appointment with your child’s class teacher (which could be in person or by telephone if you prefer). You could also approach the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) who has responsibility for all children with additional needs in the school.

  1. How do we identify that a child has additional needs?

Early identification of pupils with additional needs is a priority. On entry to the school each child’s aptitudes and abilities will be assessed, and as the children continue through school, the school will use appropriate screening and assessment tools to ascertain pupil progress. Whether or not a pupil is making appropriate progress is seen as a significant factor in considering the need for additional provision. Assessment data will include:

  • Information from parents.
  • Evidence obtained by teacher observation/assessment.
  • Children’s performance in National Curriculum subjects.
  • Progress in relation to Assessing Pupils’ Progress objectives.
  • Standardised screening or assessment tools.
  • Records from infant schools.
  • Reports from external agencies, such as Educational Psychology, Portage and Speech Therapy.

    1. How do we support a child with additional needs?

    We will work together with pupils and their parents using the information from assessment to design appropriate differentiated programmes for pupils with identified additional needs, including:

    • Providing starting points for an appropriate curriculum
    • Identifying the need for support within the class
    • Assessing learning difficulties
    • Ensuring on-going observations/assessments provide regular feedback on achievements/ experiences, for planning next steps in learning
    • Involving parents in a joint home-school learning approach.

    The SEN Code of Practice advocates a graduated response to meeting pupils’ needs, based on an Assess, Plan, Do and Review model. 

    1. What range of provision is available to support children with additional needs?

    The main methods of provision made by the school are:

    • Full-time education in classes, with additional help and support by class teacher through a differentiated curriculum
    • Periods of withdrawal individually or in groups to work with a support teacher/ETA
    • In-class support with adult assistance
    • Support from specialists within class or as part of a withdrawal programme

    The SENCo meets termly with class teachers to consider the appropriateness and range of provision available and this is monitored, managed and evaluated to ensure the effectiveness of the provision each term.

    1. How will the progress of a child with additional needs be monitored?

    The progress of children at every stage of the above graduated approach will be tracked using Provision Mapping.  Progress for children on the Provision Map or with an ANP will be discussed with parents at termly teacher consultations. The SENCo will be available for separate consultation at that time should parents so wish. In addition, children with a My Support Plan, EHCP or Statement will have additional review meetings.

7.    How accessible are we?

We are determined to ensure that the school is accessible to all both in terms of our curriculum and our facilities and that every pupil is enabled to take part in all that the school has to offer, wherever possible providing additional support or making necessary adjustments.

For some pupils, additional arrangements and adjustments will be made to enable them to fully access standardised tests. This might include additional time, rest breaks or the use of a scribe or word processor.

The children have access to all areas and every effort is made to ensure that there are no physical barriers to participation for any pupil.

  1. How do we prepare children with additional needs for transition to high school?

Children and young people with additional needs can become particularly anxious about “moving on” so we seek to support successful transition by:

When moving forms in school: All children will participate in Transition Days to meet their new teacher and get to know the classroom. We will share all information about special arrangements and support that has been made to help your child achieve their learning goals with their new teacher

When moving to another school: We will contact the new school SENCo and share information about special arrangements and support that has been made to help your child achieve their learning goals.

We will ensure that all records are passed on as soon as possible.

In year 6 - 7 transition:

All pupils will attend Transition Days at the new school. Prior to any Transition Days at the new school, the SENCo will contact the SENCo at the new school and share information about special arrangements and support that has been made to help your child achieve their learning goals. In the case of children with an EHCP or Statement, the new school SENCo will be invited to attend the year 6 annual review.

We will ensure that all records are passed on as soon as possible.


We may also arrange:

  • visits from staff from the new school to our school prior to transition to meet and/or observe the pupil in class; and/or
  • additional transition visits to the new school; and/or
  • additional multi-agency meetings to create a more detailed “transition plan” which may include ‘My New School’ books (with photographs, maps etc.), a staggered entry into the new school, home visits by the new school staff and any necessary adaptations or equipment requirements.

    1. How have we consulted with parents on our Offer?

    As part of the review of this Offer, all parents of children with EHCPs and Statements and those receiving specialist support were consulted and their comments and suggestions incorporated into the Offer. We are committed to making this Offer as comprehensive and inclusive as possible.


    1. What is the Kirklees Local Offer?

    The Local Offer has been developed as part of the new Children and Families Act. It aims to provide information on education, health and social care provision available for disabled children and young people and those with special educational needs, in a way that can be accessed quickly and easily.

    Who is producing the Local Offer?

    Kirklees Council is working with parents, carers, young people, schools, colleges, early years providers and health services to produce the Local Offer.

    What information do schools provide?

    Schools have a duty to provide information about special educational needs that is accessible to pupils, parents and carers. We need to make sure this information is kept up to date.

    Where can I find the Local Offer?

    The Kirklees Local Offer can be found at

    This is a work in progress. Kirklees Council and partners are working hard to create a Local Offer that includes links to all relevant information that Kirklees residents would find useful. If you have any suggestions for improvements or ideas about what might help you, contact: